As a recognized student organization at IUP, the Catholic Student Association (CSA) exists to deepen faith and commitment to Christian discipleship, and strengthen a sense of belonging to the communion of the church for all Catholic students of the university.
While St. Thomas More University Parish enthusiastically collaborates with CSA, we welcome all IUP students to join us in prayer, faith formation and other parish activities.
- To learn more about faith
- To nurture spirituality
- To meet other students of faith
- To form important and lasting friendships
- To bring God's love to the Indiana community through service
The IUP Catholic Student Association (CSA) was established as the Newman Club, October 2, 1927. The club was named in honor of Cardinal John Henry Newman, a "scholar, educator and friend of youth."
That Sunday, nearly 100 students gathered at St. Bernard of Clairvaux Church, Indiana, to form a student group committed to better acquaint Catholic students with the heritage of their religion and bind them together in friendship.
As the Indiana State Teacher's College population flourished, so did the Newman Club.
In 1958, the Perfetti Noodle Company (the current site of Zink Hall) was purchased and converted into a meeting center for the Newman Club. Membership increased with the construction of the Newman Center on campus in 1968. The mission of this new facility was to also provide for an opportunity for fellowship among students.
What began as a student only parish, evolved into a university parish of the Diocese of Greensburg in the late 1990s under the spiritual direction of Father Michael J. Crookston, pastor.
St. Thomas More University Parish continues to grow and offer more opportunities for worship and fellowship to the university and wider Indiana community.
The Catholic Student Association, in its current form, has been in existence for nearly a decade, and continues to further the original goals of the Newman Club.